Residential Maternity Care at Angels’ Cove
At Angels’ Cove in Mt. Vernon, pregnancy care is offered as a positive alternative to abortion. A comfortable, home-like setting provides a soothing sense of family and a calming, peaceful environment to our resident mothers-to-be and their children. Assistance is provided in the positive choices of parenting and adoption with neither option stressed more than the other.
Our program attempts to meet the physical, emotional, psychological and spiritual needs of young women experiencing an unplanned pregnancy. Residents learn parenting skills and benefit from individual and group therapy. While in our care, residents are also encouraged to continue their education. Junior and Senior High aged girls attend public schools. GED, vocational and college coursework is also available.
If a resident chooses to parent their child, we attempt to equip them to be the best parent they can be. This means, along with attending regular academic instruction, they are also involved in classes regarding parenting skills, safety, career selection, housing, budgeting, resource networking, etc.
For residents making an adoption plan, Angels’ Cove is a licensed adoption agency (ID#401813) in the state of Illinois. We offer openness in adoption, providing a vital link between birth and adoptive parents. Birth mothers may select the adoptive parents, meet them and make a mutual agreement regarding future contact.
In-Home Adoption Planning
In-home counseling is available for women living in their own homes or with family who are considering the option of adoption. They may receive services in their own homes or at the agency office. Those planning adoption are assisted in thorough consideration of this decision, choosing a family, determining the degree of openness, and processing the loss associated with losing a child. Family counseling may also be provided to assist parents in dealing with the loss of their biological grandchild.
No client will be denied services based on race, religion or financial ability. Residents may come at any time during their pregnancy.
Forms Needed for Placement at Angels’ Cove Maternity Care:
- Birth Certificate
- Social Security Card
- Proof of Pregnancy
- Insurance and/or Medical Card
- WIC ID Card
- Immunization Records (Mother and each child)
- Documentation of negative TB test within 60 days for each adult
- School Transfer Form
- Class Schedule
- School Transcript (GED Certificate/High School Diploma/College Transcript or Diploma)?
- Dental Records
- Current Driver’s License or State ID
- Automobile Insurance Certificate
- Automobile Registration Number
- Divorce Decree *
- Child Custody Documents
- Restraining Order *
- Psychological or Social History
(* = if applicable)
View the Angels’ Cover Maternity Application Form
Frequently Asked Questions :: Residential Maternity Care
HOW DO I SCHEDULE AN INITIAL INTERVIEW?
- Call our office @ 618-242-4944.
- Counselor will schedule an interview that will last 1-2 hours.
WHAT HAPPENS AT THE INITIAL INTERVIEW?
- We will explain our program to you
- You will tour the cottage
- We will listen to what led you to seek residency at Angels’ Cove
WHAT DO I DO NEXT, IF I AM ACCEPTED?
- Complete an application
- Gather forms required for placement
- Schedule an admission date
WHAT HAPPENS ON MY 1ST DAY?
- Complete admission paperwork
- Welcome to the cottage
- Inventory your personal belongings
- Turn in medication to the house parents
- Drug test administered
- Initial drug screen
WILL I HAVE MY OWN ROOM?
- Rooms are assigned based on age, availability, and needs
- Room assignments are subject to change at any time
WHAT CAN I BRING?
- Small personal items to personalize your room
- Personal clothing, make-up, and toiletries
- Small TV ( 24” or smaller), laptop, cell phone, IPad, DVD player, DVDs and ear buds for use with these items
WHAT IS PROVIDED FOR MY ROOM?
- Dressers and a lockable closet
- Alarm clock
- Radio/CD player
- Toiletries (shampoo, etc.)
- Clothes hamper
WHAT DOES THE TYPICAL DAY LOOK LIKE?
- Starts at 9am, Monday thru Friday and 11am on Saturday, or according to your individual needs (i.e. school, work)
- Scheduled tasks will be determined by your individual service plan
- Curfew to be in the cottage is 9:30pm
- Time to be in personal room is stated in cottage expectations
ARE CHORES REQUIRED?
- Personal rooms are checked daily for cleanliness
- Daily and weekly chores will be assigned
- You will be assigned a personal laundry day
WHAT ABOUT FOOD?
- You will prepare your personal breakfast, lunch, and snacks
- You will participate in weekly meal planning
- You will prepare an evening meal for the Cove family on a rotating basis
WHAT TYPE OF MEDICAL CARE WILL I RECEIVE?
We will assist you in:
- Obtaining medical, dental, and vision care with local providers
- Transferring WIC and medical card to this county
WHAT ABOUT THE DRESS CODE?
- Loose fitting, modest clothing covering undergarments
- Bare bellies, lower backs, and cleavage should be covered at all times
- Clothing and accessories cannot show images of alcoholic beverages, tobacco/tobacco products, or illegal substances
- Clothing may not contain obscene, profane, insulting, or sexually explicit content
- Shorts, skirts, and dresses must be at least fingertip in length
- All dresses and tops must, at least, have shoulder straps
WILL I HAVE ACCESS TO A PHONE?
- There is a house phone provided for your use
- Your family and friends can use this phone to contact you
CAN I DRIVE MY OWN CAR?
- Vehicle insurance and registration must be current
- Valid driver’s license must be current
WHAT ABOUT EDUCATION?
- Minors will attend school according to Illinois education laws
- All non-minor residents who have not completed high school will be required to attend GED classes
- Continuing college education is encouraged
WHAT ABOUT EMPLOYMENT?
- 12 hours of monthly employment, education, or volunteer work is required for all residents.
- House parents will assist you with resources, job search, and arranging transportation
- Residents who are not working are required to complete 10 work credit hours monthly to be applied toward $50 monthly program fee
DO I HAVE TO STOP SMOKING?
- Follow smoke-free facility law and cottage guidelines
- You will furnish your own cigarettes and smoking materials
- Minors cannot smoke; it is against the law
WHAT ABOUT CHURCH?
- You are expected to participate in weekly, family devotions
- Everyone, including the house parents, will attend a Baptist church together on Sunday morning and evening
- Those who participate in different faiths will have an opportunity to attend additional services
- At no time will church membership be required
WHAT ABOUT AFTER DELIVERY?
- Your post-partum recovery will be in accordance with discharge instructions from medical providers
- Your individual service plan will address other options
WHAT IF I HAVE OTHER CHILDREN?
- Angels’ Cove does not babysit
- You are responsible for the care and well being of your dependent children
- You must secure child care when needed
CAN I VISIT FAMILY AND FRIENDS?
- Visits with your family and friends will be established in your individual service plan
- Visiting guidelines are expected to be followed
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO LIVE AT ANGELS’ COVE?
- $50 fee per month
- Saving 30% of all income is required
- Work credit is available to apply towards monthly fee until income is established (1o hours monthly).